FedEx provides three options when shippers require a signature upon delivery. Each delivery option has various costs and requirements. Indirect Signature Required, Direct Signature Required, and Adult Signature Required. However, Indirect Signature Required is available to residential addresses only. For destinations other than the U.S. and Canada, costs for Indirect Signature Required may not apply.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
FedEx Delivery Signature Options
A FedEx driver will leave a door tag at the recipient’s door when no one signs for the package. When a signature is required, the delivery driver will generally try to deliver the shipment three times. The sender will find proof of delivery containing an image of the scanned signature on the FedEx tracking page.
|FedEx Delivery Signature Options||2021 Cost||2022 Cost|
|Adult Signature Required||$ 6.70||$ 7.15|
|Direct Signature Required||$ 5.55||$ 5.90|
|Indirect Signature Required||$ 5.55||$ 5.90|
|No Signature Required||No Cost||No Cost|
FedEx Adult Signature Required
FedEx will obtain a signature from someone at least 21 years old (19 years old for deliveries to Canada) at the delivery address (government-issued photo identification required).
- Government-issued photo identification or other identification customarily accepted by local authorities is required.
- If there is no eligible recipient at the delivery address, FedEx may reattempt delivery.
- FedEx may not reroute shipments if there is an Adult Signature requirement.
- Additionally, firearm shipments must ship with the Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option.
FedEx Direct Signature Required
A person at the recipient’s address must physically sign for the delivery. Direct signature deliveries are made to the address on the shipping label, not to the individual recipient. When no one is available at the address, FedEx may reattempt the delivery.
- The FedExDirect Signature Required FedEx Delivery Signature Option automatically applies to packages with a declared value equal to or greater than $500.
- However, the Direct Signature Required fees will not apply to these packages
FedEx Indirect Signature Required
FedEx will collect a signature from someone at the delivery location or somebody nearby. This includes neighbors, front office, or building manager. Also, the recipient has the option to authorize shipment release without anyone present. FedEx will obtain a signature in one of three ways:
- From someone at the delivery address; or
- A neighbor, building manager, or person at a closeby address; or
- Otherwise, the recipient can sign a FedEx door tag or utilize FedEx Delivery Manager to authorize release of the package without anyone present.
If delivery is not successful, FedEx may reattempt delivery. Additionally, a recipient may sign for the package electronically on a phone or computer.
FedEx No Signature Required
Lastly, many FedEx shipments do not require a signature from the receiver. Ordinarily, FedEx will attempt to collect a signature at the assigned delivery address. However, if no one is available to sign, FedEx will leave the parcel in a secure place without collecting a signature.
March 23, 2020 – September 15, 2021: COVID19 FedEx Delivery Signature Options Suspension
From March 2020 to September 2021, FedEx signature guidelines were adjusted for all shipments, except for adult signature required shipments. This implementation was designed to minimize physical interactions. Customers will verify the recipient’s name instead of a physical signature. FedEx is still collecting recipient information; therefore, surcharges for these services will continue to be charged.