When shipping a package, FedEx, UPS, and USPS come to mind. All these carriers have certain restrictions for items that are prohibited from shipping. It is essential to be mindful of FedEx shipping restrictions to ensure your account remains in good standing and that your packages reach their final destination.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Why Are Items Prohibited?
According to FedEx, certain items cannot be received, stored, shipped, imported, or exported due to regulatory, hazard, safety, or other reasons. Therefore, transactions involving these products are strictly prohibited, regardless of origin or destination. If you are dishonest about shipment contents and FedEx finds out, they can suspend or close your account. Therefore, if there is any question about FedEx shipping restrictions or prohibitions, please get in touch with FedEx directly.
FedEx Prohibited Items
The following are currently FedEx-prohibited items for all global shipments:
- Goods priced over $20,000 without prior approval
- Irreplaceable artwork valued over $500,000
- Flammable items with a flashpoint of 140 degrees Fahrenheit or less
- Auto parts with fluids in them
- Furs, fine art, and jewelry
- Pornography/obscene material
- Precious metals (gold, silver, and platinum) in the form of bullion, coins, or ingots
- Cash, banknotes, coins, currency notes, or including currency of any kind
- Watches valued at over $1000
- Weapons and weapons accessories
- Stamps (postage/revenue), vouchers, tokens, tickets of any type; additionally credit, debit, or cash cards
- Time-sensitive documents (bids and contract proposals)
- Contraband (illicit drugs and additionally any counterfeit goods)
- Livestock, bloodstock, and particularly living animals
What are Restricted Items?
The article may be available for shipping when an item falls under FedEx shipping restrictions. However, you must have a contract with regular volume and be able to adhere to all regulations. This includes dangerous goods. Items considered FedEx dangerous goods are those that have hazardous materials. Certain things have regulatory, hazardous, safety, or other considerations. Before handling, these items require approval from Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, and Legal departments. In short, there is a restriction on transactions involving these commodities, regardless of origin or destination. Therefore, contact FedEx if you have any questions about FedEx shipping restrictions.
Please note: Restricted items may require special permits or licenses before being sold, exported, or imported to your specified country or territory.
FedEx Restricted Items
- Artwork, archaeological artifacts, and antiquities
- Biological agents, etiological agents, and hosts and vectors of human disease
- Class 9 Miscellaneous (e.g., self-inflating life rafts, lithium batteries, and dry ice)
- Flowers, fresh food, and Perishables
- Hazardous materials/FedEx dangerous goods and radioactive materials
- Lithium-ion and lithium-metal batteries
- Medical Devices
- Additionally, verify receiver complies with state requirements/permits for the distribution of medical devices.
- Microchips, computer chips, microprocessors, central processing units (CPUs), and mobile telephones
- Irreplaceable artwork valued between $250,000 and $500,000
- Pharmaceuticals or retail tobacco products
- Gems (cut or uncut) or precious metals (gold, silver, and platinum) in the form of scrap, dust, and jewelry
- Tranquilizing guns and ammunition
- Flammable, corrosive, or contain gases
FedEx Size Restrictions
- With FedEx Express® U.S. services, you can ship packages up to 150 lbs.
- Up to 119″ in length and 165″ in length and girth.
- With FedEx Express international services, you can ship packages up to 150 lbs.
- Up to 108″ in length and 130″ in length and girth.
- Finally, you can ship packages up to 150 lbs with FedEx Ground and Home Delivery.
- Up to 108″ in length and 165″ in length plus girth.
So then, what if your package exceeds the FedEx shipping size restrictions? In 2021, the FedEx unauthorized package charge is $920 per package. In 2023, the cost is now $1,150 per package. Therefore, read more about it here. Our UPS over maximum limits charge blog.
Conclusion FedEx Shipping Restrictions
In conclusion, if you are a FedEx large volume shipper with various inventory, reviewing these restrictions and prohibitions is a good idea. Review regularly. Or, you can have Refund Retriever audit your packages and accessorial fees. We can find restricted items or additional fees. Our contract negotiation experts can help lower shipping costs with a complete analysis and benchmark.