FedEx shipment exceptions are not fun for recipients or shippers. The ability and promptness of a courier service operator to deliver a package without a hitch are at the top of the requirements list for most clients. In a world that prioritizes swift delivery of both services and packages, FedEx ranks as one of the best courier services, with a few delivery exceptions.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
FedEx shipment exceptions are not necessarily a big deal, but they can affect how fast clients get their packages. If you want to know more about FedEx shipment exceptions, read on.
What does delivery exception mean?
The FedEx shipment exception is an incident that arises during the shipping process that may delay or alter the scheduled delivery of a package. These delivery exceptions can be caused by several factors, ranging from natural elements such as weather or natural disaster to unforeseen logistics issues and missing or incomplete addresses.
How does delivery exception affect your business?
Delivery exceptions can have a significant impact on your business in several ways. Therefore, let’s examine some of them;
- Customer Dissatisfaction:
- No one likes delays, not even for 5 minutes. Delivery exceptions are the same as they can result in dissatisfaction among customers. Ultimately, this can lead to negative reviews and damage a company’s reputation, eventually impacting future sales.
- Increased Costs:
- Delivery exceptions can develop in additional business costs, such as re-delivery or restocking fees. These costs can accumulate over time and affect your company’s overall profitability.
- Lost Revenue:
- If a delivery exception results in a damaged package, your business can lose revenue from that sale. Additionally, if your customers are dissatisfied with the delivery experience, they may shop elsewhere.
- Negative Brand Image:
- Your company’s reputation is significant in today’s highly competitive market. Delivery exceptions can lead to negative reviews, customer complaints, and a damaged brand image. Hence, making it harder for a business to attract and retain customers over time.
FedEx shipment exception weather delay
Weather conditions around the country can cause weather delays on FedEx deliveries. Weather delays are determined solely by FedEx. Substantial disruptions at the FedEx Memphis hub resulting from severe weather create potentially hazardous operating conditions. Potential delays are likely for deliveries across the US the day after one of these events.
Common causes of FedEx shipment exception
Some of the significant causes of FedEx shipment exceptions that could arise include the following:
- Weather or natural disasters:
- While shipping, if the shipment meets with a severe weather condition, a natural disaster, or any other uncontrollable weather events that could affect the transportation of a package, FedEx may delay delivery or hold it in transit until the conditions improve.
- Incorrect or incomplete address:
- Sometimes, during documentation and due to the last-minute rush, the recipient’s address may be filled incorrectly or incomplete. This could cause a carrier delay, and FedEx may hold the package until the correct address is provided.
- Damaged package:
- If a package is damaged during transit, FedEx may hold it for inspection or return it to the sender of the package.
- Customs clearance issues:
- If a package shipped internationally encounters problems with customs clearance, FedEx may delay delivery or return the package to the sender.
- Missed delivery attempt:
- If the recipient is not available to receive the package or present at the time of delivery to the provided address, FedEx may attempt to redeliver it later, usually within the next day, or hold it for pickup at a nearby FedEx location.
Should your package ever encounter a shipment exception, you can track its progress through the FedEx website or contact customer service for more information.
Will your package still be delivered if it says delivery exception?
In most cases, yes! A lot of the time, your package will still be delivered despite the delivery exception status. Though it may take longer than expected, you may be required to contact FedEx customer service.
What should you do if your package says FedEx shipment exception?
One thing you should not do is panic. Have it in mind that a FedEx shipment exception is not a failed delivery. The next step is to contact FedEx customer service immediately so they can help you handle the intricacies of delivery exceptions.
If a delivery exception occurs, FedEx will provide you with the tracking information, a description of the issue, and the expected delivery date. Contact FedEx at 1-800-Go-FedEx. If the package requires action from the recipient or shipper, FedEx will also provide instructions on what needs to be done to ensure the package’s delivery.