UPS Mail Innovations is a joint venture between UPS and the United States Postal Service (USPS). It is a cost-effective way to send packages and documents around the world. The service combines the reliability of the UPS Ground network with last-mile delivery generally provided by the USPS. Mail Innovations handles the pickup, processing, and interim transportation of your package or document, then hands off the final delivery to the USPS for completion.
How Long Does UPS Mail Innovations Take to Deliver?
UPS Mail Innovations achieve transit times comparable to USPS First Class plus one day. This is accomplished using the vast UPS network and working association with the USPS. The national network of processing facilities can process and transport domestic mail to its point of induction within 24-48 hours of pickup.
UPS Mail Innovations Categories:
- Flat Mail: 1 ounce – 15.99 ounces. They are commonly used for booklets, magazines, etc.
- Bound Printed Material: 1 lb. – 15 lbs. Typically used for books, catalogs, etc.
- Less than 1 lb. Parcels: 1 ounce – 15.99 ounces.
- Generally used for lightweight odd-shaped items, CDs, apparel, sign tubes, etc.
- Media Mail: 1 lb. – 70 lbs.
- Restricted to specific packages like print media, binders, films, and medical binders.
- UPS SurePost Less under 1 lb.: 1 ounce – 16 ounces.
- SurePost 1lb. or Greater: 1 lb. – 70 lbs.
- SurePost Bound Printed Matter:
- Restricted to books and printed material (Note: Requires a SurePost Bound Printed Matter contractual addendum)
- SurePost Media:
- Restricted to specific items such as binders, films, and medical records. Note: Requires a SurePost Media contractual addendum)
Why use UPS Mail Innovations
The services are more adaptable, flexible, and less expensive than you would expect to spend directly with the USPS. Retailers use Mail Innovations to help streamline the movement of bulk orders out of their warehouse locations and to local post offices for the final mile delivery. The cost for these packages varies depending on the size and weight of the package, the distance it needs to travel, and the type of service you choose.
UPS Mail Innovations is best for smaller and lighter shipments that weigh less than one pound, and UPS SurePost is best for heavier packages within the two to twenty-pound range. Mail Innovations is specifically designed for small to mid-sized businesses that move a lot of merchandise in flat or lightweight shipping packages.