What happens if UPS does not deliver on time?
All UPS ground and express packages are guaranteed to arrive on time, or it’s free. Once you identify that a package was delivered late, requesting a UPS Guaranteed Service Refund is the next step to get your money back. The request must be within 15 days of the originally scheduled delivery date.
As a rule, you need the UPS tracking number to file a claim. To begin with, you can submit a UPS GSR request in two ways:
- Call 1-800-PICK-UPS (1-800-742-5877) and say “Refund.”
- Follow the prompts of the automated system and repeat the tracking number
- The automation will either confirm or deny the refund instantly
- Many times, the automation will give a reason if the refund is not issued (i.e., weather delay)
- Or log into the UPS Billing Center and select Request a Refund.
- This will produce an instant confirmation or denial online
- If your account number is not registered with UPS online billing, it will not allow a refund submission
The UPS Billing Center is accessible only to those customers with payment accounts. You cannot access the UPS billing center if you receive your UPS invoices in the US mail. Therefore, you must convert your account to online billing or call the 800 number above.
Common Issues with UPS Guaranteed Service Refund Requests
Reaching the UPS refund page is the easy part. There are numerous reasons why your shipment might not qualify for a GSR refund. Some common causes include the following:
- The type of service used was not guaranteed (like UPS SurePost)
- The shipping agreement you signed prevented you from claiming credits
- You shipped the package at a UPS store (you have to declare those refunds at the UPS store directly)
- Large Package Surcharge or Additional Handling Fees
- Delays outside of UPS’s control (weather, customs, etc.)
- Shipments made around the holidays (Peak season exclusions)
I submitted a refund request. What’s next?
UPS will only credit or refund the transportation charges for each shipment to the payer if UPS approves your refund request. The credit will appear in a special section for guaranteed service refund credits on the subsequent UPS invoices. Transportation charges do not include other fees or expenses that UPS may assess. This includes fuel surcharges and additional accessorial fees. The GSR will be in the Guaranteed Services Refund-Call In section, as shown here.
The rules for the UPS service guarantee are in section 53 of the UPS service guide. Subsequently, the exclusions of the guarantee are in section 53.2. Find the most current UPS Rate and Service Guide here.
What does a UPS GSR look like?
Requesting a refund for your business is not difficult.
The problematic part is filtering out all the on-time deliveries or late exceptions. If your company is shipping more than 20 packages daily, keeping up with this will quickly overtake your life. Plus, it could cause a drag on overall efficiency. Let Refund Retriever audit shipments for your company.
Let Refund Retriever monitor all your shipments today. Contact us and get the first month of refunds for free. You keep 100% of the refund credit for one month. Lower your business expenses instantly and painlessly with Refund Retriever’s full-service small parcel auditing. Do not let the cost of transportation impact your business.